Vijay is an Indian actor who is famous for his work in the Tamil film industry. Is fans call him with name llayathalapathy, meaning young general. His real name is Joseph Vijay Chandrasekhar. Let’s find out some more exciting facts about Vijay and his life.
Vijay was born on 22 June 1974 (Age 48 Years; in 2022) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Vijay completed schooling from Fathima Matriculation High School in Kodambakkam and then attended Balalok Matriculation High School in Virugambakkam. Vijay graduated with Visual communication from Loyola College.
|Height (approx.)||5’ 10” Feet Inches|
|Weight (approx.)||73 kg|
|Body Measurements||Chest: 38 Inches|
Waist: 29 Inches
Biceps: 14 Inches
Family, Education, and Caste
Vijay was born to the Christian family. He belongs to the Christian Vellalar community from the states of Tamil Nadu.
His father, S. A. Chandrasekhar, is a well-known Tamil film director and his mom Shoba Chandrasekhar who is a Carnatic singer.
Vijay had a sister Vidya, who died at the age of 2 years, when Vijay was 9 years at the time of her death. He named half of his Vidhya-Vijay productions house with his sister name Vidhya.
Wife and Children
This Vijay married his fan Sangeetha Sornalingam on August 25, 1999. The couple has a son Sanjay born in 2000 in London, and his daughter Divya born in 2005 in Chennai. Sangeetha Sornalingam is the daughter of Tamil industrialist from Sri Lanka, Sangeetha parents were settled in the UK.
Sangeeta is two years elder than Vijay. Before marriage, Sangeetha was a big fan of Vijay, both met him during shooting, and they chatted for a while, liked each other, and got married.
Vijay started acting as a child actor in Vetri (1984). After appearing in films as a child actor, Vijay made his debut in Kollywood with his father’s action drama, “Naalaiya Theerpu.” The movie was ended up as Flop.
Later he appeared in several hit films, Like ‘Thulladha Manamum Thullum’ (1999), ‘Kushi,’ (2000), ‘Friends’ (2001), ‘Bagavathi,’ (2002), ‘Vaseegara,’ (2003),’Thirumalai’, (2003). His performance in the film Ghilli (2004) was very much liked by the audience and established him as a prominent actor in Tamil cinema. Vijay appeared in Pokkiri expand his horizon as an actor. He also appeared in Blockbuster films, like Thuppakki (2012), Kaththi (2014), Theri (2016), Mersal (2017), Sarkar (2018), Bigil (2019), Master (2020) and so on.
With a net worth of around $25 million dollars as of 2020, Vijay gets paid more than ₹20 to ₹25 crores per film.
- Actors: Rajanikanth, Amitabh Bachchan and Kamal Haasan
- Actress: Simran
- Food: Chicken Briyani
- Destination: Los Angeles and London
- Color: Blue and Black
Vijay has a huge love for automobiles and has an incredible collection of cars. His car collection includes Rolls Royce Ghost, BMW series 5, BMW X6, Toyota Innova, a blue Mini Cooper, and an Audi 8.
Vijay endorsed brands like Tata Docomo, Coca Cola, Josalukkas.
- Vijay doesn’t have a smoking habit and not takes alcohol.
- He undergone minor surgery to his eyes due to irritation and swelling. During the Pokiri shooting.
- He donates books and notebooks to fifty thousand poor people during his birthday.
- Vijay was honored with a doctorate from Dr. MGR University to is a contribution to cinema and to society.
- Is a huge fan of superstar Rajinikanth.
- He cameo appearance in Bollywood film Rowdy Rathore, he appeared at the end ‘Chinta Ta Ta’ song.
- After Allu Arjun, Vijay has the highest number of fans in Kerala amongst non-Malayalam lead actors.
- Vijay and Ajith are two heroes who are presently having a huge fan following in Tamilnadu.
- Was featured in Forbes’ ‘Celebrity 100’ in Indian edition lists, based on income and popularity In the year 2012 and 13.
- In 2005 one of his fans committed suicide since he is unable to produce a ticket for Vijay film. In 2013 another fan got suicide since the delay in the release of his movie Thalaiva.
- Through his career, Vijay has introduced more than 20 new directors to industry.
- Vijay became 3rd South Indian actor to cross 200 crores grosser mark after Rajinikanth and Prabhas.
In 2020, Vijay donated Rs 1.30 crore to fight against coronavirus. Reportedly, out of this amount, Rs. 50 lakh to Chief Minister Relief funds of Tamil Nadu and Rs.25 lakhs FEFSI (Film Employees Federation of South India), 10 lakh will go to Chief Minister Relief funds of Kerala, and 5 lakh each to Telangana CM relief fund, Andhra CM relief fund, Pondicherry CM relief fund.
- In 2015, He donated Rs 5 Crore to Chennai Flood relief.
- In 2013, He donated Rs 40 lakh to Cyclone Gaja disaster relief fund.
- In 2018, He donated Rs 70 lakh for Kerala flood victims.